Horrific pic shows aftermath of woman raped by homeless man released from custody days prior

Marissa Young was viciously raped and beaten so severely that she was unrecognizable after being attacked while walking her dogs in Torrance, California on July 31, 2022, by a homeless man named Darrel Waters.

(Video Credit: KTLA 5)

Young, 44, never stood a chance against Waters, 46 who had been freed on knife charges just days before the brutal assault, according to the Daily Mail. She was walking her two 13-year-old dogs near a field next to Nova Community Church when she was “tackled from behind” and raped by the man who also knocked out eight of her teeth during the attack.

“I heard nothing,” she told KTLA 5 in an interview. “I didn’t have headphones in, I wasn’t looking at my phone, I was just walking straight forward to my destination.”

Waters pushed her to the ground and punched her in the face “at least” 15 to 20 times according to Young. He reportedly shattered her nose in four places and broke her cheekbone while he raped her.

“Probably three-quarters of the attack I fought back, cause I was fighting for my life. It was a crime of opportunity, because I’m of small stature and my back was to him,” she recounted detailing the 30-minute attack.

“I was barrel-rolled around and continuing to try to fight this person off. At one point he had me on my back with his fingers around my neck, and held me down real close here and was strangling me, and sort of let me know that ‘I have control – if you don’t stop screaming and yelling, I’ll kill you,'” Marissa recalled. “I fought back like crazy – I did everything to get this person off of me. I bit his fingers, I tried to push him off of me.”

“He asked – well told – me to perform oral sex on him, which is when I bit his penis as hard as I could – to try to bite it off in the hopes that he would run away. It did not come off – it just injured him severely – it just angered him and enraged him – he beat me even more severely,” she remarked. “He was able to continue the rape even though he was severely injured in that sense.”

After the beating and rape, he left her on the ground, bloodied and naked from the waist down.

“For whatever reason, he decided not to kill me and said ‘You can go now,’ and pointed out my keys in the grass,” Marissa said.

“You can still see a lot of swelling in my face,” she said, noting that she has had five surgeries so far over the last three months to try and repair the damage. She hasn’t been able to work either and for about a month afterward, she was partially blind, according to Fox11.

Young had to have her jaw wired shut and she will need eight dental implants. She also needs therapy for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). The bill for all that starts at $24,000 and that’s just the beginning of the cost.

She had dental surgery on October 14 and her jaw was unwired.

“For those that know her, you know how much she likes to laugh… being able to do so without being self-conscious about her teeth will be a huge step forward. It will take time, but having her beautiful smile back will make a huge difference in restoring her sense of self,” her friend Debbie Keyser commented on the GoFundMe account set up to raise money for Young’s medical expenses.

She wants her story to serve as a warning for others.

Young is planning to start nursing school soon despite the horrific assault and her healing injuries. She knows she is lucky to be alive after the attack.

Police tracked Waters down within 36 hours and arrested him on August 1. He is being held without bail and faces three felony charges including rape, oral copulation, and sexual penetration with force.

Waters appeared on surveillance footage in a dark, baggy outfit, wandering near a dumpster the night of the attack.

Torrance City Attorney’s Office, which answers to the LA County District Attorney’s Office, claims that Waters’ release was “in accordance with the penal code.”

“It makes me angry,” Young told KTLA 5. “It’s horrifying to think that they were holding this guy with a huge knife that was taken off him that’s illegal and he was let go the next day even though he has a record. Once something like this happens to you, it sort of changes your mind as to what the laws should be.”

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE


Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!

Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.
Terresa Monroe-Hamilton


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.

Latest Articles