‘Didn’t get the woke memo’: Black NFL coach puts race-baiting reporters to SHAME

As one of just four black NFL coaches, Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Todd Bowles was bound to get some extra attention from the media. But when reporters tried to make his upcoming face-off with the Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin — another black man — about race, Bowles quickly shut the woke press down with comments that have many on Twitter cheering.

“I have a very good relationship with Tomlin,” Bowles said at a Wednesday press conference. “We don’t look at what color we are when we coach against each other, we just know each other.”

“I have a lot of very good white friends that coach in this league as well, and I don’t think it’s a big deal as far as us coaching against each other, I think it’s normal,” he continued.

“And we coach ball, we don’t look at color,” Bowles added.

But the media really wanted to make the race of the coaches a thing, so they tried to get Bowles to comment on the importance of “representation” to aspiring coaches of color and what it means to them to see an NFL coach who “looks like them” and, perhaps, “grew up like them.”

Bowles refused to play their game.

“Well, when you say, ‘They see you guys,’ and ‘look like them and grew up like them,’ it means that we’re oddballs to begin with,” he replied. “I think the minute you guys stop making a big deal about it, everybody else will as well.”

According to conservative radio host Clay Travis, “Todd Bowles didn’t get the woke memo on NFL racism.”

For Travis, that the questions were even being asked is a sad sign of today’s divisive times.

“What’s fascinating about this answer to me is this is how anyone raised in the 1980’s, 1990’s or early 2000’s would answer these questions,” he tweeted. “We were all raised, especially in sports, with idea that we all had more in common, regardless of race, than we did different.”

“But then woke culture and victim ideology took over — which is the direct opposite of sports culture — and now Bowles will get attacked by the tiny minority of blue checks who don’t remotely represent sports culture & many will get notice to spout their talking points or else,” he continued.

Fear, said Travis, is keeping more in the athletic community from speaking out.

“I’m not sure any part of American life is more full of bulls**t right now than sports,” he wrote. “Athletes, coaches, & owners are diametrically opposed to all the woke media that cover them yet are so afraid of woke mobs that most say things they don’t believe just to avoid getting attacked.”

“Athletic culture is a direct reflection of the meritocracy,” he explained. “Being elite is the aspiration. Dominating is the goal.”

“No one wants to be equal with another player or another team,” he argued. “You want to be better than them and beat their a**. That’s how you win and get paid.”

The sentiment was shared by many on Twitter.

“I’m willing to bet that over 80% of America agrees with him,” wrote one user. “The other 20% are employees at corporate media companies and left wing colleges/universities.”

“White people like this reporter are the most racist people in America,” stated another.

“So unfortunate that these questions get asked,” a third lamented. “Great responses from a great coach.”

“Unity and positivity on display,” the user added. “The divisiveness needs to end… ”


Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!

Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.
Melissa Fine


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.

Latest Articles