The more Americans hear Hollywood preach gun control, the more they love guns, new poll says

Liberal celebrities’ support for stricter gun laws is backfiring, according to a recent poll.

A survey by Zogby Analytics found that respondents viewed the Second Amendment more favorably after hearing Hollywood entertainers call for gun control, the Washington Examiner reports.

(Source: Zogby Analytics).

The poll asked participants “When Hollywood actors and actresses speak out about gun control, does that make you want to support or oppose our constitutional right to bear arms (the 2nd amendment to the constitution)?”

According to the results, 34 percent strongly and 22 percent somewhat support the Second Amendment upon hearing celebrities’ views on firearms, making for a combined 56 percent majority.

By contrast, the “opposed” group (“strongly opposed” and “somewhat opposed” combined) only made up 28 percent. Sixteen percent of respondents were “not sure.”

(Photo by George Frey/Getty Images).

Zogby speculated that “hypocrisy” might be a factor that makes even Democrats feel repelled by Hollywood’s gun control arguments .

“[A]ccording to the data, Hollywood interjecting itself into the debate makes even the Democratic base want to bear arms. There could also be an element of hypocrisy driving the numbers, since many actors and actresses have body guards who carry guns and Hollywood churns out movies depicting guns and violence.”

Fifty-four percent of Hispanics supported gun rights in the face of celebrity opinion versus 46 percent of African Americans.

(AP Photo/Mark Wallheiser).

Even Democrats (47% support/37% oppose) and Independents (47% support/27% oppose) were more likely to back the Second Amendment over celebrities sharing their views.

The poll also found that, despite the widespread student activism pushing for tougher gun laws, support for the Second Amendment was strongest among Millennials aged 18-29 (65% support/23% oppose) and 18-24 (58% support/26% oppose).

Following last month’s shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., a number of celebrities have actively supported efforts to restrict gun ownership.

Oprah Winfrey. (Photo by Amanda Edwards/WireImage)

Actor George Clooney and former talk show host Oprah Winfrey each donated $500,000 to this month’s upcoming March for Our Lives gun control rally in Washington, D.C.

“Hunger Games” star Jennifer Lawrence blamed guns for violence in America, and Michael Keaton called Republicans and the NRA “weak, disgusting cowards.”

Zogby’s analysis concluded:

Jennifer Lawrence. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File).

“The numbers among young voters, African Americans, Hispanics and even Democrats prove the gun debate could be a tricky strategy for Democrats looking to take back power in both houses of Congress in the 2018 midterm elections.”


Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!

Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.

Latest Articles