Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly released two memos on Tuesday detailing vast changes in the governing of immigration under the Trump administration.
The memos “implement a host of immigration enforcement changes ordered by President Trump,” Fox News reported.
Included in the directives are instructions for agency heads to hire thousands more officers, end the “catch-and-release” program implemented under President Barack Obama and start work on the promised southern border wall.
‘This president flat-out lied!’ Tucker joins ‘The Five’ and Bob Beckel goes off on him, see how it ends . .
DHS secretary orders immigration agent hiring surge, end to 'catch-and-release' https://t.co/7qHq3W9q2z
— Fox News (@FoxNews) February 21, 2017
The memos effectively expand the categories of illegal immigrants targeted for deportation, according to Fox News, but will spare so-called “dreamers” enrolled in Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
Welcome to Sweden! Here’s what happened last night . . . still want to mock Trump?
More on the “sprawling set of initiatives” included in the memo, from Fox News:
- Prioritizing criminal illegal immigrants and others for deportation, including those convicted or charged with “any criminal offense,” or who have “abused” any public welfare program
- Expanding the 287(g) program, which allows participating local officers to act as immigration agents – and had been rolled back under the Obama administration
- Starting the planning, design and construction of a U.S.-Mexico border wall
- Hiring 10,000 Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and officers
- Hiring 5,000 Border Patrol agents
- Ending “catch-and-release” policies under which illegal immigrants subject to deportation potentially are allowed to “abscond” and fail to appear at removal hearings
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Did Sunny Hostin just admit on air to breaking the law by voting for her son? - November 8, 2022
- Stacey Abrams justifies trailing in the polls by suggesting black men are too stupid to back her - November 7, 2022
- Kevin McCarthy has message for Pelosi telling Dems to ‘change the subject’ away from inflation - October 24, 2022
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.