After two years, it’s clear that the media is not going to give President Trump the benefit of the doubt and will exaggerate things well out of proportion in an attempt to make him look bad. The goal, of course, is to make him appear unfit to hold the office.
This formula came into play in reporting on an exchange between Trump and new White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney that reportedly took place two weeks ago during talks with Democrats to end the government shutdown.
The pearl-clutching media breathlessly tells us a that a “furious” President Trump “humiliated” Mulvaney in front of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer after he “inserted himself into the conversation and tried to negotiate a compromise sum of money” for the wall, as reported by Axios.
More from Axios.
- “Trump cut him off … ‘You just f–ked it all up, Mick,'” the source recalled Trump saying. “It was kind of weird.”
- Another source who was in the room confirmed the account. That source said their impression was that Trump was irritated at Mulvaney’s negotiating style. “As a negotiator, Trump was resetting,” the source said. “Mick was not reading the room or the president.”
- A White House official, who was in the room, responded to Axios’ questions about the encounter: “This is an exaggerated account of the exchange that doesn’t reflect the good relationship Mulvaney has built over the last two years with the president.” (The official did not deny the quote we provided, but denied that it was as heated a moment as some in the room perceived it to be.)
- The same WH official said, “The president and Mulvaney joked about it afterwards.”
While the media ran with the angle presented by Axios, that the president “dressed down” his chief of staff, their story includes a statement from a White House official in the room who called it “exaggerated” and noted that the two “joked about it afterwards.”
After all, this is the big leagues with negotiations between the country’s most powerful elected officials underway and you can be sure everyone’s wearing their big boy pants.
As for the “source,” with Pelosi and Schumer in the room, you can be sure any leaks are going to be twisted and contorted like a pretzel.
Short of a video of the incident, we’re not likely to learn the proper context of the incident, but keep in mind that, much to the chagrin of the political class, Trump is a businessman, not a politician. And should an aide miss an effort on his part to reset during tense negotiations, as suggested, that’s an important moment.
As for allegedly dropping an F-bomb, which seems takes on a whole other meaning when coming from the right, refer back to the big-boy pants.
Attire missing from the pearl-clutching anti-Trump cabal’s wardrobe:
“You Just Fucked It All Up, Mick.”
President Trump chastised his new chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, over his handling of shutdown talks, creating an awkward scene in front of congressional leaders of both parties. @jonathanvswan scoops https://t.co/Up2Ip76uJf
— Yashar Ali ? (@yashar) January 13, 2019
Trump ‘humiliated’ Mick Mulvaney in front of congressional leaders, Axios reports.
Mulvaney tried to find a middle ground in negotiations. “Trump cut him off … ‘You just fucked it all up, Mick,'” a source recalled Trump saying. “It was kind of weird.”https://t.co/55WsqxbBSB
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) January 13, 2019
And so it begins: Trump humiliated acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney in front of congressional leaders, @jonathanvswan scoops. https://t.co/o3SNQqoP8z
— Dan Diamond (@ddiamond) January 13, 2019
I suspect Mulvaney’s tenure as Acting Chief of Staff will soon come to an end, as Trump throws him under the bus and blames him for Trump’s forthcoming defeat on the shutdown. Wouldn’t be surprised if Trump brings over Whitaker as COS if Barr’s confirmed. https://t.co/ptxXZNbLKp
— Bill Kristol (@BillKristol) January 13, 2019
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Did Sunny Hostin just admit on air to breaking the law by voting for her son? - November 8, 2022
- Stacey Abrams justifies trailing in the polls by suggesting black men are too stupid to back her - November 7, 2022
- Kevin McCarthy has message for Pelosi telling Dems to ‘change the subject’ away from inflation - October 24, 2022
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.