Following on the heels of his response to President Obama’s State of the Union address, Sen. Marco Rubio announced Wednesday that he has joined with all the Senate Republicans led by Sen. John Cornyn of Texas to introduce a resolution proposing a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution.
According to a press release, the bill has the support of Americans for Prosperity, Americans for Tax Reform, Council for Citizens Against Government Waste, National Taxpayers Union, National Federation of Independent Business and the 60 Plus Association.
“The root of our debt crisis is that our government spends $1 trillion more than it takes in every year,” Rubio said in the release. “Practically every state, including Florida, has to balance its budget by law, just as working families have to out of necessity. It makes for tough choices, but it forces elected officials to follow through on their most basic responsibilities regarding how taxpayer dollars are spent.”
“Washington has proven its inability to curb out-of-control spending,” Rubio continued. “We need a strong balanced budget amendment, and I will keep working until the requirement that Congress pass a balanced budget is enshrined in our Constitution.”
The balanced budget amendment would include a:
- Requirement to Balance the Budget: With limited exceptions, the federal budget must be balanced.
- Presidential Requirement to Submit a Balanced Budget: Prior to each fiscal year, the President must submit to Congress a balanced budget that limits outlays to 18 percent of GDP.
- 18 Percent Spending Cap: With limited exceptions, Congress must limit outlays to 18 percent of GDP.
- Supermajority for Tax Increases: Establishes a new supermajority requirement for net tax and rate increases.
- Supermajority to Raise the Debt Limit: Establishes new supermajority requirement for an increase in the debt limit.
Take our poll: Who gave a better rebuttal speech to the State of the Union address?
Rubio gets last laugh on ‘water bottle-gate’
Video: Senator Marco Rubio’s response to the State of the Union
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Did Sunny Hostin just admit on air to breaking the law by voting for her son? - November 8, 2022
- Stacey Abrams justifies trailing in the polls by suggesting black men are too stupid to back her - November 7, 2022
- Kevin McCarthy has message for Pelosi telling Dems to ‘change the subject’ away from inflation - October 24, 2022
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.